Wednesday 27 August 2008

Antonia White

During my stay in the Isle of Wight I visited my favourite second hand book shop Ventnor Rare Books and picked up the first two volumes of the famous quartet of novels by Antonia White for the princely sum of £1.00 and £1.50! I began Frost in May last night and have been virtually unable to put it down since. The story of nine-year old Nanda's arrival and upbringing at a convent combines the best of the traditional boarding school story with the deeper resonance of faith and conflict. The second volume The Lost Traveller looks promising, too.

6 comments:

kristina said...

I've been thinking about starting 'Frost in May' for quite a while now. Sounds like I better move it to the top of my to-read list! Hope you had a lovely holiday. K x

Liz said...

I read Frost in May on my holidays earlier this year and really enjoyed it. Though I'm very thankful I never had to endure an upbringing like that ...

Vintage Reading said...

Hi Liz. Have you read the rest of the series? I loved The Lost Traveller but I haven't got around to the third one - The Sugar House - yet. I do intend to read them all, though. Nicola

Vintage Reading said...

Hi Liz. Have you read the rest of the series? I loved The Lost Traveller but I haven't got around to the third one - The Sugar House - yet. I do intend to read them all, though. Nicola

Liz said...

I haven't read the others. Hopefully I'll come across them some day!

alice c said...

As soon as I read this post I knew that we were going to be friends because I love Antonia White. Frost in MaY remains crytal clear in my mind years after I read it for the first time.